Brief Communication: "An inventory of permafrost evidence for the European Alps"
- 1Environmental Protection Agency of Aosta Valley, ARPA Valle d'Aosta, Saint Christophe, Italy
- 2Glaciology, Geomorphodynamics and Geochronology, Department of Geography, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
- 3WSL Institute for Snow and Avalanche Research SLF, Davos, Switzerland
- 4Laboratoire EDYTEM, CNRS, Université de Savoie, Le Bourget du Lac, France
- 5Arabba Avalanche Center, Environmental Protection Agency of Veneto, ARPAV, Arabba di Livinallongo, Italy
- 6Department of Geography and Regional Science, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
- 7Institute of Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry, Graz University of Technology, Graz, Austria
- 8Autonomous Province of Bolzano, Geological Service, Bolzano, Italy
- 9Institute of Geography, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 10Earth Science Department, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
- 11Abenis Alpinexpert Srl, Bozen/Bolzano, Italy
Abstract. The investigation and modelling of permafrost distribution, particularly in areas of discontinuous permafrost, is challenging due to spatial heterogeneity, remoteness of measurement sites and data scarcity. We have designed a strategy for standardizing different local data sets containing evidence of the presence or absence of permafrost into an inventory for the entire European Alps. With this brief communication, we present the structure and contents of this inventory. This collection of permafrost evidence not only highlights existing data and allows new analyses based on larger data sets, but also provides complementary information for an improved interpretation of monitoring results.